• Domkal Sub-Division Contact - 03481 230030

  • Kandi Sub-Division Contact - 03484 255090

  • Lalbagh Sub-Division Contact - 270243

  • Sadar Sub-Division Contact - 03482 250511

  • Police Control Room - 100

  • Child Help Line - 1098


Originally the term "FAQ" referred to the Frequently Asked Question itself, and the compilation of questions and answers was known as a "FAQ list" or some similar expression. The term became more frequently used to refer to the list, and a text consisting of questions and their answers is often called a FAQ regardless of whether the questions are actually frequently asked, if they are asked at all, or if there is even any way of asking questions.

Q1)What is cognizable Offence?

In Cr. PC, the offences are divided into two categories; one Cognizable and the other Non-cognizable. Police is empowered to register the FIR and investigate only the cognizable offences. Police can arrest an accused involved in cognizable crime without the warrant from the Court.

Q2) What is Non-cognizable Offence?

The category of offences as per Cr. PC in which Police can neither register the FIR nor can investigate or effect arrest without the express permission or directions from the court are known as Non-cognizable offences. These mostly include minor offences such as abusing each other, minor scuffles without injuries, intimidation etc.

Q3) What is First Information Report (FIR)?

Report pertaining to occurrence of a cognizable offence, received at the Police Station is called First Information Report, popularly known as FIR. Since it is the first information about the cognizable offence, it is called First Information report. On receipt of this information police registers the report in a FIR Register and begins the investigation of the crime.The Right to Information Act (RTI Act) will cover all levels of government organization like Centre, State, district and local self governing bodies like Panchayats and Municipal bodies. It will also cover non-governmental organizations- i.e. NGOs, VOs and other private bodies- that are financed substantially with public funds provided by the Government. This means every citizen has the right to put in an application requesting information or copies of records held by these bodies and such information should be given by the concerned body.

Q4) Can Police call someone for investigation even if granted anticipatory bail by the court?

Yes, certainly. The court only forbids the arrest but does not prevent police from calling the accused for investigation. Infact, invariably it is one of the conditions of the anticipatory bail that the accused shall make himself available for investigation as and when required by the investigating officer. Refusal to do so may entitle the investigating officer to move the court for cancellation of anticipatory bail. In case the investigating officer finds that a criminal case is made out against an accused granted anticipatory bail by the court, he will not arrest him but will release him on bail, even if the offence is Non-Bailable.es the right to-

Q5) For the sake of investigation, can police call any person at Police Stations?

Yes, Section 160 of the Criminal Procedure Code empowers the Police Officer conducting investigation to call any person, who appears to be acquainted with the circumstances of the case at the Police Station. But, under no circumstances the investigating officer can call any woman or male under 15 years of age, at the Police Station.

Q6) Is there any fee for registration of a case?


Q7) How should I get the permission for using microphone?

You will have to apply to the officer In-charge / Inspector In-charge of your Police Station.

Q8) What are the basic requirements for obtaining a license for holding processions?

Following information should be furnished with application:

  • 1. Name, Address and Contact number
  • 2. The route of procession, start point and terminating point.
  • 3. Duration of procession
  • 4. Purpose of procession.
  • 5. Number of persons expected to participate.

Q9) How do I lodge a NC complaint?

Information about such offences is to be given in a similar manner as explained under F.I.R. The officer in-charge would reduce the complaint in writing (about commission of Non cognizable offence) and give a copy thereof to the complainant free of cost. No police officer can investigate a non-cognizable case unless he obtains prior permission of a Magistrate having power to try such case.

Q10) What should I do if I have to pass any information about an offence or an accident?

  • 1. Call 100
  • 2. Call the nearest Police Station (Telephone number given in Contact page).
  • 3. Call any of the Police Officers shown in Contact page.
  • 4. Go to the nearest Police Station and inform.

Q11) How do i apply for driving license ?

Click Here for License Application

Address - Office of the Superintendent of Police ,Berhampore, Murshidabad. Pin No.-742101

Phone: 03482-250751 / 03482-250753

Email Id : spmurshidabad@gmail.com

Website :

Facebook Link :

Find Us

2023 © Murshidabad Police District | All Rights Reserved

Designed & Developed by @ Techpromind